Farm and Workforce Development supports farms by providing access to the tools and resources they need to ensure a sustainable workforce. Our work is focused on the needs of employers and workers, and actively promotes agriculture as a rewarding career.
Your Resource for Attracting and Retaining a Sustainable Workforce
- Delivering human resources support and best practices.
- Navigating labour legislation and programs.
- Supporting succession planning through tools and resources.
- Promoting innovative approaches to workforce challenges.
- Fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion within the industry.
- Strengthening the workforce through skills development, education and training, and career promotion.
How we do it
- Deliver training and workshops
- Develop templates, tools, and best practices for use on farm
- Keep you up to date through newsletters, websites and social media
- Work with stakeholders and industry partners
- Promote agricultural careers to Nova Scotians
Check out our Farm and Workforce Development strategy HERE
Nova Scotia’s agriculture sector employed 6,600 people in 2021, which represents roughly 3% of Canada’s agricultural workforce. While it’s the country’s fourth-smallest agriculture sector employer, it has the highest share of foreign agricultural workers of any Atlantic province.
In 2017, Nova Scotia’s agriculture sector had a moderate labour gap, with 250 jobs going unfilled. Between now and 2029, the number of domestic workers available will shrink even further due to an aging workforce and a declining number of young people. At the same time, the province’s demand for agricultural labour will rise due to bright production outlooks for several of its key industries.
As a result of these demographic and production trends, as many as 2,600 jobs could be at risk of going unfilled by 2029.
For further information or to discuss your farm’s workforce needs, contact us at [email protected]
Farm and Workforce Development is funded in part through the Nova Scotia Department of Labour, Skills & Immigration, Workplace Initiatives Branch.