Avon Valley Floral
AVON VALLEY FLORAL is a Maritime company based in Falmouth, NS (roughly 70km from Halifax city centre) serving the floriculture industry. Founded in 1937 and incorporated in 1942, as a floral wholesaler and greenhouse, Avon Valley Floral is a leading provider of cut flowers, potted plants, foliage, dish gardens, vegetables as well as a full line of florist supplies and giftware. Over the past 80 years, Avon Valley Floral has stayed true to its core values by building sustainable partnerships with customers throughout eastern Canada. Our goal is to provide the best quality and service to ensure long term success throughout our market area.
With more than 9,500 square feet of fresh cut flower cooler space, 5 acres of greenhouse production, a 20,000 square foot floral supply facility, and 50 employees, we are a leading supplier of quality cut flowers, potted plants, and floral supplies.
· Production Work: Transplanting seedlings or rooted cuttings, plant propagation, pruning, fertilizing, watering, weeding, spacing, other crop care as needed.
· Take direction from production managers
· Picking/packing plants (baskets, planters, foliage, etc.) for shipment to vendors
· Assist growers with routine detailed inspections of crops (indoors and outdoors) for timely identification of weed, insect, disease, and fertilizer problems.
· Participates in sound hygiene and housekeeping practices throughout the indoor/outdoor growing facility.
· Work with Grower and Assistant Grower to become familiar with systems and greenhouse procedures.
· Work in a refrigerated environment with Perishable Products Staff during peak holiday seasons
· Fill orders accurately according to pick tickets.
· Participate in scheduled meetings and training sessions when required.
· General willingness and openness to learning horticultural practices
· Attention to detail while multi-tasking and working independently.
· Communication skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
· Commitment to safe working practices for self and others.
· Ability to work respectfully with a diverse population.
· Candidate must be reliable and punctual.
Work Conditions and physical capabilities
· Fast-paced environment
· Repetitive tasks
· Physically demanding
· Standing for extended periods
· Bending, crouching, kneeling
· Hot/sunny indoor and outdoor environments
· Ability to lift a minimum of 15 kg
Avon Valley promotes a respectful work environment. The ideal candidate consistently demonstrates a positive and respectful attitude.
This position will remain open until filled, with first considerations given to applications received by March 1st, 2023, Apply soon!