NS Federation of Agriculture
The Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture (NSFA) represents the interests of Nova Scotia’s agricultural community. Today its members account for well over 90% of all agricultural production in Nova Scotia and brings together farm businesses representing all aspects of primary agriculture in the province. The NSFA tackles policy issues that impact the competitive and sustainable nature of the industry and takes an active role in supporting registered farms through the delivery of programs and services. The NSFA supports farms by providing tools, resources, best practices, and training while advocating on their behalf.
The NSFA is seeking a Communications Manager for a Parental Leave Contract (14 – 18months). The Communications Manager works closely with the Executive Director and across the NSFA team to ensure the organization’s voice and brand are consistent in all messaging. The Communications Manager has two direct reports on their team. The Communications Manager is responsible for the organization’s voice, sharing stories of the organization and the agriculture industry with our members, the media, and the government.
- Lead and implement the organization’s communication and brand strategies, ensuring that the Federation’s voice and branding remain consistent throughout all work
- Manage and oversee communication platforms including but not limited to website, email marketing, social media, and print newsletters
- Manage and coordinate the marketing and promotion of the organization and its programs including tradeshows, sponsorships, etc
- Manage and support the development of presentations, information sheets, fact sheets, blog posts, graphics, letters, etc
- Support the agriculture industry through times of crisis, utilizing the crisis communications plan
- Manage and coordinate the organization’s member relations events and activities, in an effort to bring members together to connect and network with staff, Council, and fellow farmers (e.g. Annual Meeting, Summer Social)
- Support the government relations strategy by providing communications support and identifying and managing government engagement opportunities and developing key messaging
- Manage and coordinate media monitoring, releases and requests, serving as the first point of contact, developing speaking points and key messaging, coordinating spokespersons, scheduling interviews, providing written statements
- Manage and coordinate membership including Registered Farm, Non-Registered Farm, Friends of NSFA and Corporate Partners
- Actively lead the Communications Team to support the execution of the organization’s strategic plan and activities
- Manage and coordinate the preparation of funding applications and budgets
Skills & Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or equivalent
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a communication, public relations, or marketing role
- Knowledge of Nova Scotia agriculture is an asset
- Experience in event planning, media management and stakeholder relations is required
- Team-oriented but able to work independently and provide leadership to the team
- Proficient in M365, WordPress, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, and social media
- Ability to foster and maintain meaningful relationships with stakeholders
- Starting annual salary between $56,000 – $68,000
- 3 weeks of vacation annually
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Hybrid work option pending position requirements
The NSFA prides itself in providing an enthusiastic work environment and is a tight-knit, supportive group encouraging collaboration and sharing of ideas. The NSFA strives to provide meaningful experience through career development and team-building activities.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com quoting “Communications Manager” in the subject line by March 15th.